Purpose of the Room: This room is located directly to the right upon entering the front entrance hall. My speculation is that this room would have been used as an office as Thomas Helme (III) was not only a farmer but a surveyor and justice of the peace.
NOTE: This room is currently being used as a dining room until the restoration is completed.
Dimensions: 16' 2" x 11'; ceiling height 7' 9 1/2"
1. Fireplace originally was painted with Soldier Blue milk paint which leads to the speculation that it was recycled from the 1720's House since this color was used so consistently with elements that are known to have come from that earlier home. Additionally the fireplace mantle and surround are simpler in design and has the appearance of being of earlier manufacture. The second finish on the fireplace was a faux marbling effect as it was painted to resemble white marble with blue veining as shown below during restoration. That was probably done at the time of installation in the 1812 House since we also see doors in the house having faux grain finishes to resemble mahagony with satinwood panels.
2. The moldings have a different profile than other molding in the house being heavier in appearance and painted with the same Soldier Blue milk paint that is found on other elements from the 1720's House.
3. A small built-in cabinet was placed just below the ceiling and a full length closet placed to one side of the fireplace both have doors that appear to be of earlier manufacture than others in the house. Once again the Soldier Blue milk paint proves to be the original color.
1. Walls - the earliest color found on the walls was blue similar to Behr .....and similiar to the background color on this page.
2. Trim - Soldier Blue milk paint is the earliest color found on the trim pieces and that had been painted over by Oyster White milk paint which leads to the supposition that it came from the earlier house as throughout most of the house the earliest color has been the Oyster White.
This room might have been the setting for the Thomas Helme (III) desk that was made of Thomas Cooper, craftsman, in 1770 and is now in the possession of the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities (SPLIA).
|RETURN TO ROOM-BY-ROOM TOUR|